Tuesday 16 June 2015

Some like it HOT

Tea afficionados, how do you know how hot to brew?

My Breville IQ Kettle is the most frequently used appliance in our household. There are days when I roll out of bed, stagger over to it zombie-style, and heat the water for tea (Yorkshire Gold, a single cube of turbinado sugar, 4 min steep, splash of 1% milk). More often, I awaken to its welcome chime and clattering of porcelain - and I know dear husband is truly the love of my life, and I've got four minutes of luxury left before the daily grind begins.


It's a variable temperature kettle. On the box, it states "Different teas need different temperaturatures to bring out their best." So, if you're serious about tea, you need this kettle. It has 5 temperature settings: for green, white, oolong, french press and black tea lovers. 

Since I was four, I've been drinking a cuppa each morning, but always black. Green teas were always bitter to me. A few years ago, in a tea apothecary of sorts, the owner gave me a tip - green tea needs to not oversteep, and it needs water that is not too hot. Then we traveled to Japan, and I came back wiht some beautiful roasted rice matcha. There was no way I was going to scald those delicate leaves with this kettle!

Truth be told, I had considered getting Breville's grand kahuna - the Tea Maker - for its motorized basket, clear glass jug, and programmable features, but for half the price, the ergonomic handle, soft open lid, cordless jug and aesthetic design of the IQ Kettle (re-branded from the 'Smart Kettle' to Aussies) won me over.

If we ever get into coffee, we'll go across the street and take advantage of the billion-dollar espresso machines at a local cafe. But hey, we could just as well use the 'french press' setting, right?

We've got the Breville toaster too. Can you tell we're drinking the Breville kool-aid? Okay, it's tea in my cup. Got me.

No comments:

Post a Comment